Sorghum Variety Trials Test Results!
To view sorghum variety trial test results from Texas A&M AgriLife Research & Extension, click here.
2018 | Sorghum as a Secondary Crop
If you planted cotton or wheat on the South Plains this year, the prolonged drought has likely threatened the viability of your crop. If you think you might plant grain sorghum as a secondary crop, there are a few considerations you should keep in mind:
- June 30 is the final planting date to insure grain sorghum through most plans on the Plains
- If your insurance adjuster determines your first crop is failed, the late planting period for most replanted crop insurance plans on the Plains ends 10 days later on July 10
- If your insurance provider determines it is not practical to replant the cotton or wheat, the insured can:1) Receive 100 percent indemnity on the first insured crop, then plant and elect not to insure grain sorghum on the acreage (wildcat sorghum); or2) Receive 35 percent of the indemnity on the first insured crop (and pay 35 percent of the first crop premium), then plant and insure grain sorghum on the acreage. If the grain sorghum does not suffer a loss or if the loss is less than what would be due from the first insured crop, the insured can receive the remaining 65 percent indemnity on the first crop (and pay the remaining 65 percent of the first crop premium).
- Around July 15 is the last recommended date anyone in the Plains can plant grain sorghum and hope to raise a viable crop. This recommended date is earlier in some regions of the South PlainsIf you do elect to plant grain sorghum as a secondary crop, United Sorghum Checkoff Program Director of Agronomy Brent Bean has some recommendations:
- Be aware of the potential for sugarcane aphids
- Select a tolerant, early-maturing hybrid
- Add a seed treatment
- Check herbicide use in the cotton acreage
- Plant from 20 percent to 25 percent more seed with very early hybrids
More technical resources provided by Dr. Bean can be found at the Sorghum Checkoff’s page dedicated to planting grain sorghum as a rescue crop.
As always, please consult with your crop insurance provider before making any final planting or coverage decisions.